By Tom Murse
The U.S. Constitution guarantees every American the right to vote in elections regardless of their race, color, or previous condition of servitude. But that hasn't always been the case in the United States.
- Requirements for Voting: 5 Things You Need on Election Day
- Can One Vote Make a Difference?
- Are You a Swing Voter?
- Should Voters Have to Pass a Test?
- Voting Rights Act of 1965
- The Practice of Early Voting
- What is an Open Primary?
- Learn About Election Fraud
- How Electoral Votes are Distributed
- The Help America Vote Act
- Electoral Votes by State
The Federal Budget and The National Debt
The US federal debt exceeds $10 trillion; the value of our entire national output of goods and services (GDP) in 2004 was only $12 trillion. The debt is growing due to deficit spending, which has reached record levels under this administration. Explore issues surrounding the federal budget, from tax reform to the federal debt, from budget proposals to expenditures.
- US Budget Deficit: 2008 Doubles 2007
- Sobering Budget News: "Spending Our Way to Financial Ruin"
- US Federal Budget Process
The issue of health care includes access to insurance, Medicare and Medicaid, abortion. Health care was a major concern of voters in the 2008 presidential election.
- Issue Summary: Health Care
- Congressional Ban On Lead In Toys Has Unintended Consequences
- What Is Medicare?
- Issue Summary: Abortion
- Obama On Abortion
- The Bush White House: Redefining Birth Control As Abortion
- Politics & Medicine: FDA Rejects Intrinsa
- When Patient And Provider "Rights" Collide
- Battle Over Insuring Children
- A Poster Child For SCHIP (The Politics of The Personal Attack)
- Supreme Court Upholds Oregon Right-to-Die Law
Immigration reform -- expanding the number of legal immigrants and blocking access to the country by illegals -- is a major political issue. Business wants access to a larger pool of cheaper labor; Americans fear illegal immigration destroys the nation's integrity.
- Immigration Issues: Shades of Grey or Black-and-White?
- Immigration Public Opinion Poll
- Anti-Immigration Rhetoric At Odds With Data
- US Immigration By Decade - 1820-2004
- US Immigration as Percent of Population - 1820-2004
- Politicization at Justice Includes Immigration Judges
- House Bill on Immigration Was Republican-Driven
- Immigration: "Virtual Fence" Deployed; Fines Boosted
Iraq and Afghanistan
The second War in Iraq has morphed from an event supported by an overwhelming majority of Americans to one opposed by a slim majority. What are the issues surrounding the war as it enters its fifth year? How is it related to the war in Afghanistan?
- Iraq Insists On Withdrawal Timeline
- Oil Politics, At Home and Abroad (In Iraq)
- Vietnam and Iraq: The Tragedy of Unlearned Lessons
- Declassified Report: No Al Qaeda Link In Pre-War Iraq
- The Pat Tillman Story
- How Many US Allies Have Troops In Iraq?
- Tracking The Surge